China the Beautiful Forum Index China the Beautiful
A forum for readers of chinapage.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beautiful Cao Quan Bei

Calligraphy / painting / music 字, 画, 音乐
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavedancing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Beautiful Cao Quan Bei Reply with quote

If you are looking for the most beautiful Li Shu, Cao Quan Bei is the one.

If you want to learn Li Shu, you have to study Han dynasty Li Shu. Because after Han dynasty, no calligrapher ever did Li Shu as good as those of Han dynasty so far.

I will put other famous master pieces later. It take some time to put the pictures. Thank you for the understanding and support.
r_yamashina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Beautiful Cao Quan Bei Reply with quote

This rubbing seems rather fine and old enough.
Is it your collection? Or photographs/plates?

wavedancing wrote:
If you are looking for the most beautiful Li Shu, Cao Quan Bei is the one.

If you want to learn Li Shu, you have to study Han dynasty Li Shu. Because after Han dynasty, no calligrapher ever did Li Shu as good as those of Han dynasty so far.

I will put other famous master pieces later. It take some time to put the pictures. Thank you for the understanding and support.

wavedancing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are just photographs. These are master pieces in history. Anyone who like to learn Chinese calligraphy should see these pictures. A person who haven't seen these can not say he/she know Chinese calligraphy. These are available in libraries or bookstores in China but it's hard to get in USA. So I put it on the website.
basti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I bought a rubbing of the Caoquan stele when I travelled to Xian a few years ago. I enjoy watching the beautiful characters, but I would like to know more about the meaning of the text.

Is it possible to find an english translation for it?

I tried to look out on the internet, but I found very little in English. I am interested in any kind of information in relation with the biography of Caoquan.

Cool
chinapage
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basti:

Cao Quan Bei is text of a tombstone of the man named Cao Quan (Last
name is Cao).

A copy of it is originally posted by wavedancing. That web page no longer exists.

See http://www.chinapage.com/calligraphy/caoquanbei.html instead.

The text of the epitaph is not particularly significant. I would just
enjoy the calligraphy, and not worry about the life of Cao Quan.
(As always, read from right to left.)

Or, you might try to emulate the style and practise your calligraphy.
S.L. shows some of his handiwork of Cao Quan Bei at his web site
http://www.asiawind.com

Ming

Last edited by chinapage on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
basti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chinapage,

Thanks for your reply. Very Happy I've got to admit that I am at least as much interested by history as I am fascinated by calligraphy. If you think of the Egyptian hieroglyphs, don't you think you would miss something if you admired them only for their artistic look, without trying to understand what the people who wrote them meant?

I'm trying to translate this japanese text about the Caoquan Bei :
http://www8.plala.or.jp/yuuboku/kouza/souzen/0-souzenhi.htm

A graceful, handsome and refined clerical script (lishu) representative of the Han era, this famous stele is said to be more feminine than other steles.

[Then the text says Caoquan Bei's 結体 is a tight 八分隷 : do you know what that could mean? ]

Caoquan (曹全, honorific name Yingwan 景完) is a native of 敦煌效穀, in the province of 甘粛省.
[Do you know the pronunciation, and the location of these places?]

His family had been for generations a powerful one, but his father died as he was a child. He was brought up by his grandmother-in-law. He served his adoptive mother well, and his fellow villagers praised him for observing a warm filial piety towards her(親重歓致曹景完). For this reason he was given the title of 孝簾(xiaolian) in the second year of Jianning era (建寧2年)(169CE).

Introduced by a 郎中[Do you know what that mean? Or is it a proper noun?] official, he became 西域戊部司馬[an army general?]
At that time, he became famous by triumphing over the rebellion led by the king of 疏勒[pronunciation?] . He resigned temporarily in order to mourn after the death of his younger brother, then as the 黄巾[pronunciation?] rebellion occured he repressed it and restored public order.

The stele has been engraved to honour Caoquan for his distinguished services. Be careful that this stele was made during Caoquan's life time, and is by no way a tomb epitaph.

sllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basti,

It is nice to see that the French are getting more and more interested in Chinese culture especially calligraphy. I am thrilled to see the massive festivity in Paris during the Chinese new year.

I agree with Professor Pei in part that to appreciate calligraphy, one does not need to understand the entire piece. The artistic touch is something to enjoy. On the other hand, the content of the calligraphy can be quite interesting by itself and may add to the appreciation of the calligrpay. For instance, the famous pieces of Yan Zhenqing mourning his nephew. The calligraphy shows the agony, sorrow, and anger.

The emotional change via brush strokes is something that calligraphy of other nations does not present. The Egyptian hieroglyphs, for example, are quite standardized and independent of the content. For someone who does not know the language, the emotion is not conveyed by the words in the Egyptian hieroglyphs.

For steles, which are carved after the ink writing is done, much of the emotional expression is lost because dry or wet ink, 'fei bai' on steles are not quite the same as the ink expression.

The translation of stele is basically correct.

׮Ľ\ Dunhuang Xiaogu
Sule (a 'foreign' neighbor at that time, now in Xinjiang)
An advisor (usually military) later also means herbal doctor.
黄y Huangjin - a peasant-led rebellion that was described as ruthless insurgence. But it could also be called a revolution against the incompetence of the last days of the Han dynasty.

Cao Quan Bei is probably the best preserved Lishu of the time. It is modeled by many calligraphers as the most elegant scholarly form of the script. The strokes are rounded off, giving a taste of tranquility.

I have made a few copies of different Lishu forms on my web, trying to capture the brush stroke the way 'before' the stele were carved.

You can visit :
http://www.asiawind.com/art/callig/ and view the gallery.

A Chinese artist, Xiong Bing Ming (by pinyin, could be spelled differently in his books), has written a book on the system of Chinese calligrpahy, classifying the styles into six caregories. He has been residing in France for most of his life. Unfortunately he just died a couple of years ago. I think his book is an absolute must for any one intersted in Chinese calligraphy. It should be available in French. I have the Chinese version.

I am so glad that we have an interenational group here that appreciate Chinese calligraphy. So far, I have counted German, Italian, Japanese, and French.
Very Happy
chinapage
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Basti:

Welcome to our group! As S.L. said, we have interested people
from many parts of the World. They come, additionally, from
Canada, England, Brasil, U.S. etc. Most of them do not write
very often. I hope you will be more active!

I must withdraw my initial comment about the suitability of
Cao Bei. I should make it clear that I only felt it was not
suitable for beginners. The comment does not apply here.

Cao Bei contains a lot of writings with socialogical and historical
importance. The steles were carved during Han Dynasty (185 a.d.
I believe). It talked about years of good havest and flood.
At one point, it talked about, I believe, the establishment of a
postal service. So it is well worth studying.

Aside from the text, Cao Bei is famous for its importance as
a calligraphy masterpiece. I am afraid most of the time, we
only think about it for its beauty as an art.

Ming
Aolung

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am so glad that we have an interenational group here that appreciate Chinese calligraphy. So far, I have counted German, Italian, Japanese, and French.

... and don't forget our Russian and Georgian friends, Siu-Leung! Very Happy

Alfred
sllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Alfred,

Sorry, I don't mean to be exclusive. Just want to name a few frequent posters in the calligraphy section. There could be a lot more from other countries, of course. Ming has kept a country profile of visitors.
basti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for all the replies.

sllee wrote:
basti,
I am thrilled to see the massive festivity in Paris during the Chinese new year.

There is a web site here that presents Chinese cultural events to be performed throughout the year 2004 :
http://www.anneedelachine.org/home.php?e=1
Calligraphy / painting / music 字, 画, 音乐